Strange New World

Of all the things Chris and I have in common, one of my favorite things is the dream we share.
The dream of serving together in Turkey.










That's right, Turkey.

When we were dating, we tried to make plans for our future. Chris came from a construction background in Warwick and I came from need greating in Thailand. That was where our skills were best put to use while we were single. But since we can't be in two places at once, where would we be best put to use as a couple?


This is one of many adjustments new couples have to make. Chris and I had different skill sets and goals we wanted to pursue. But what we didn't know is that Jehovah is able to assess us as a couple, despite our differences, and find an assignment that is enjoyable for us both. However, getting to that assignment may take a little patience, flexibility, and humility.





The advice we were given was to take a year just to learn how to be... married. This advice was priceless! A new field will present its own challenges so it's best to enter it as a team who already has experience in their new roles. I was told to look on my marriage as my own need greater field, because nobody could work on it for me! My marriage deserved my full attention. Especially being a sister adapting to my new head. That's a strange new world all by itself... But after the first year was up and we had many valuable lessons under our belt, what then?


While at Warwick, Chris heard a branch report on Turkey and the huge need there. He was hooked immediately. He mentioned it to me while we were dating, and 5 seconds after I googled Turkey, I was in too. With that goal firmly in mind, we kept things simple, prayed, planned, saved and just few months after our one year anniversary, we touched down in Turkey! There were some snags along the way, but i'll get into that later.

There are many, MANY places where the need can be described as "greater". So many in fact, that it can often be a challenge to decide which country/language/route to pursue. Initially, most people might not consider Turkey because of how it is portrayed in the media. I will address that later too. But for now, I thought i'd share some of the good things that drew Chris and I here.


Why is Turkey a great place to serve?


- it has a ratio of one publisher to 27,925 residents

- there was an 8% increase last year

- JW Language is available in Turkish

- english and other foreign language groups desperately need help

- you can live and preach in the same cities you read about in the Bible

- visas are easy and affordable

- theocratic schools are now available in english

- LDC projects are on the increase

and

- THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO






Interested in trying out this strange new world too?




Below are a few links that provide extremely helpful information:







Just in case you need more convincing:



This beach is in Turkey. Fethiye, to be exact.
Did I mention that Fethiye has a small english group with big needs?





























Chris and I are serving in Bodrum currently. Soon, we will have to return home to work. But we intend to come back immediately! Next time, i'll share a few more details on what it's really like to live here. 


Bye for now!

Comments

CharleyRachel said…
Fascinating! Looking forward to reading more about Turkey!

Popular Posts