Change of Plans


Well, this is a post I didn't see coming. But I should have. You know why?

Because in this organization, change is the name of the game. So why did I think that my life would stay the same while everything around me shifted? 

Well, I won't drag it out. Here's our big change:

We're not going to Turkey. 

A few months ago, Turkey and the US mutually decided to refuse visas to each other's citizens. The news hit us hard. Was this development a minor setback or something that would change everything? After much thinking and praying, Chris felt it was time to re-evaluate our goals. 

Cue the tears!

I didn't understand. Everything had been going according to plan. The saving and planning was going so smoothly. I was getting more and more excited about our new life in Turkey. We were also gently trying to break it to the congregation that we would be going.

Meanwhile, hurricane season hit the US with a vengeance, creating a huge need almost overnight for volunteers and relief efforts. Chris and I wondered if we should switch tracks and get involved in the relief work if they invited us but we decided to stick with Turkey. Then more hurricanes hit. Followed by the visa ban. I still clung to the idea that if Jehovah wanted us to go to Turkey, this ban couldn't hold us back. But Chris was starting to wonder if Turkey was indeed where Jehovah wanted us to go. 




At this point I'll mention that I do like change... when it's my decision. When it comes unexpectedly from an outside source, that's another story. I'd like to think I'm tough, but I'm not. We had been planning on Turkey for over two years. To lose it when we were so close, well, it hurt. Bad. I had doubts. I felt guilt for abandoning friends over there that we promised to come back to. I even felt like we weren't waiting on Jehovah to make a way out for us. But Chris was firmly convinced and he did his best to convince me too. So on top of managing disappointment and uncertainty, this would also become an opportunity to learn to trust my spiritual head.

But like I said, I should have seen it coming. The whole time we were in Turkey we were being prepared for this moment. Why? Because frankly, nothing went according to plan. We agreed many many times that the theme of our whole trip seemed to be "Change of Plans". For example, I thought serving in Thailand would prepare me for Turkey. Boy was I wrong. I thought we would be preaching to refugees. For the most part, we didn't. We planned to rent an apartment but instead, friends shared their homes with us as we moved from place to place. We didn't plan to do construction but we did. We didn't think we would enjoy Bodrum but we loved it. We thought we would go back and....well, you know. Each time it's a shock, and each time you have to adjust. So what do you do when all your expectations seem to be dead wrong? 

Obliterate your expectations.

That piece of advice from a very dear friend has changed me. If you let expectations hang around and whisper their desires to you whenever they feel like it, they're distracting and make it impossible to fully appreciate the moment you're in. I'm sorry. They must be obliterated. Proverbs 13:12 says "expectation postponed makes the heart sick." And who has time for a sick heart these days?

When the thing I had been running towards with all of my might suddenly evaporated, I was left stunned. What could I pursue now with the same level of focus? What could I work towards? I felt I had lost control and was just drifting. And I wasn't happy about it.

And that's not OK.

Chris didn't seem to be as thrown as I was. That's one of the things I love about him. There's not much that can cloud the sky of his sunny disposition. I'm working on being more like that. In fact, my goal in life is to look as happy all the time as Chris does drinking this juice.




I mean, look at him. He doesn't need a thing in the world besides that juice. 

Anyways, so one thing that stands between me and having that face more often are these seemingly innocent little expectations. So I obliterated them. Great. What next? I listened to the talk "Adjusting Our Sails Through the Winds of Change." It reminded me to devote all my time and mental energy to the assignment I had currently, not the the one I wished I had. Good point. But what about the deep longing that is at my very core to be a need greater?? How could I be happy in any other assignment? 

First step: Stop comparing assignments! 

When I was in Turkey, I compared it to Thailand. That's a good way to get disappointed real fast. But did I learn my lesson? No! Now I'm making the same mistake and comparing Turkey to serving in my home congregation. Stop doing that, Me.  Happiness means being super skilled at appreciating the good in each assignment. It means a steady diet of thinking about what I have and what I enjoy currently. There are always positives. We are working for Jehovah in his grand spiritual temple wherever we are, and that is the real privilege. He has all kinds of work for us and that work is always satisfying and joy inducing.  

So what's next? Well, Chris and I have been called for relief work near Corpus Christi, Texas. It looks like we will be heading out there in February. And we're ready for that. We've sold most of our things in preparation for Turkey, so we are ready to move anywhere really. I actually grew up in Texas and I haven't been back in a long time. I'm curious to see what will happen to my accent...




Beyond that assignment, we also aren't leaving any application blank. Any. That's right, even the one that says School for Kingdom Evangelizers on the top. So as far as the future goes, anything could happen. The big, HUGE difference is that our next move will be Jehovah's decision, not ours. Decisions are something he is much better at anyways, so I'm not worried.

In fact, i'm kinda looking forward to it.




UPDATE: Turkey has lifted the ban on US citizens, so for anyone that is still interested in need greating in Turkey, the way is now open!


Comments

Unknown said…
I love this! It’s very encouraging. I don’t know you personally but I k ow Amy Oka from our time at her congregation in AZ, and I loved watching her and your experiences in Thailand. I also came from the Pacific NW (Portland OR) and married a brother from the Midwest ( Minnesota). We had gone to Romania together after we married with the plan that we would stay live there and preach, if not permanently at least for a few years. But things did not turn out that way and we ended going back to Oregon. We ended up joining a Chinese pre-group and I loved it! But then we moved back to his home state of MN and now I live in Northern MN where it gets to below zero in the winter which I have never experienced, but I love it here! And we are still in Chinese. But I know now that things are always changing and totally agree with you that sometimes we need to change our expectations as well or we will not be content with our current assignment. I have also made comparisons with previous experiences and it’s not a good idea. Our move has really helped me to see that I need to treat my current congregation as my assignment, to focus on them and how I can help. I’ve also learned trusting your husband’s decision is important as well, as our move to MN, although it was hard for me at first, was obviously the right decision and we have had many blessings from it. I’m sure your new adventures serving Jehovah will bring many blessings! I look forward to seeing where they take you both, and drawing encouragement from your example!
Natasha Lundstrom
nessamendoza said…
Hello sister! I too have been reading your blog for a little while now and I want to thank you for all the encouraging posts! I once lived with missionaries and it was lot of time and energy spent into updating the blog, so I do appreciate yours! I returned a year ago from serving abroad and I’m able to do so again. I have now put Turkey high on my list :) I still have a few questions but I’m praying to be in touch with someone soon. Thank you again! New assignments make for new memories! May Jehovah continue to bless you both
Jody Reynolds said…
Ok Lexi, I so needed to read this post today. Thanks for the reminders on not comparing assignments. It’s so easy to do that. And I need to obliterate my expectations too. Usually when I find myself most disappointed it’s because I had expected something that didn’t happen or go as planned ,but what did happen would have been fantastic had I not built up something else in my head. We hope you guys have a great time doing the relief work. And remember you’re always welcome to stop along the drive in TN for a detour.
Lexi Dowding said…
Thanks Natasha! Sounds like we have oddly similar circumstances... Feels good to know others are going through the same things. Thanks for dropping a line!
Lexi Dowding said…
Hey Nessa, what kind of Turkish contacts are you looking for? I may be able to help you out.
Lexi Dowding said…
Thanks Jody! We might be able to stop by when we come down again. Looks like we may be invited to Palm Coast for the summer to help remodel, so we will be making another road trip down south. Would be awesome to see you!

Popular Posts